For What You Dream Of By Kyle Emmerson Ranma 1/2 and all of its characters and situations are the creation and property of Rumiko Takahashi. I use these characters and situations without permission. Part Five: In Fair Nerima **** "Hey, Sis," Nabiki said into the phone. "How's married life?" "Nabiki!" Akane exclaimed. "That's not funny!" "Sorry, couldn't resist. So, how's it going?" Akane sighed. "It's going, okay, I guess. Ranma and I got into an argument on which movie to see. Auntie helped us settle it, though." "So, you picked one?" Akane nodded, fully aware that Nabiki wouldn't be able to see it. "Yeah," she replied. "We're seeing Romeo and Juliet." "Oh? You mean, his uncouthness is actually going to see a cultured movie?" Akane chuckled. "Only because there are guns in it." "There would have to be." "Anyway," Akane said. "Ranma and I are going shopping soon, so I'd better get ready to go." "All righty, then Sis. I'll letcha go," Nabiki replied. And with that, each of them hung up. While one went to get herself ready, the other made an additional phone call. **** The Shopping Center was full of activity. People bustling from one store to another, shopkeepers making their fare share of yen. For Ranma and Akane, however, it was a landmark. Not geographically, but in regards to a relationship. It was the first time they'd ever gone shopping together. However, there were some unspoken agreements between the two of them. Tread nowhere near Ucchans, or the Nekohanten. But other than that, they were having the time of their lives. Ranma had already spent a good deal of his money buying, of all things, videotapes and wall scrolls. Ranma had safely tucked his 'Fist of the North Star' Wall scroll under one arm, and held a small collection of City Hunter tapes in a bag in the other. Akane had bought her fair share of potpourri, bath beads and scented candles from a street vendor, while Ranma looked on to other things. Then came the time where Akane had wanted to enter a clothing shop. Ranma politely declined, and agreed to meet her near a street okonomiyaki seller soon after. And then the two had split ways. **** Akane ran her hands along the racks of clothing, looking for something nice. Although, for all appearances from the exterior, the shop seemed second class, inside was a practical smorgasbord of fine clothing. Akane stopped next to a beautiful blue evening gown. Rather stylish, too. She checked the price tag and whistled appreciatively. The money needed to purchase the dress would have left her grandchildren paying off the debt. But it was beautiful silk dress, with a low cut chest, and two straps. It was a rather simple design, but even so, the sheer elegance of the dress captivated her. "It seems to like you, miss," one of the shop helpers said to one side. Akane looked over to her and smiled. "Yes, it's beautiful." The clerk walked over to the dress and plucked it from the rack. "Would you care to try it on?" Akane immediately blushed. She didn't know why, but the very idea of wearing something so elegant, so... expensive, simply blew her mind. She didn't know how to answer. "I, umm..." The clerk smiled. "Let me guess, too expensive?" Akane blushed again. Meekly, she nodded. The clerk shrugged. "I know. The prices for these things ARE rather ridiculous. I'll tell you what," she said, handing the dress to her. "Go try it on. If you like it, I'll give it to you half price." Akane jumped. "Half price? But how--" "I saw how you were looking at it, dear. I can use my employee discount, as long as you keep it mum to my boss." Akane's heart almost jumped into her throat. If it was at half price... She COULD afford it. Easily. With money left over to buy a late lunch for herself. Akane lifted the dress up and examined it. Although it only weighed a few ounces, it was almost heavy enough to tear her arm from its socket. Without another word, she smiled at the clerk and slipped into the change room. **** Surume. Kikurage. Dango. Ranma passed vender by vendor, taking a quick glance at each table to see if there was anything of interest. Action Figures. Baseball mits. Skateboards. Ranma stopped for a few moments at that table, to see the skateboards, if nothing else. Mood rings. Charm bracelets. Engagement rings... Engagement rings. Ranma paused and looked into the glass case. There were many. Gold, diamond studded. All of them looked rather bland, to say the least. But one had stood out to him like none other could. The ring itself was a mixture gold and silver. A yin yang on the face, with diamond studs where the gold or silver bits should have been. But the ring itself was beautiful. It screamed out to him. It was Ranma. The yin, and the yang. And yet, the ring would have been perfect for Akane, too. Ranma shook his head, trying to clear it. It was much too soon to be thinking about that. WAY too soon. "Howdy there, son," the vendor greeted with a smile. Ranma looked up and smiled back. "Hey," he replied. "I see you're eyeing our special there," the vendor said. "Gold replaces the positive, and silver the negative. I thought the diamonds were a bit of a nice touch, myself." Ranma looked up again. "You made these?" The vendor nodded. "Sure thing, son. Them's original works. I been making them for a little over a year now. Best seller, too." Ranma sighed. "How much for a pair?" "A pair? You and the misses?" Ranma winced for a moment. "I... guess you could say that." "Wellll," he said. "Tell ya what. I'll give 'em both to ya, for the price of one. You look like an honest kid." Ranma looked up in surprise. "Really?" The man nodded. "Sure thing, son. I think you'll find the price quite agreeable, too." The vendor reached in and pulled the ring out, showing the price tag to Ranma. Again, he winced. "Not enough?" the vendor asked. Ranma shook his head. He was quite visibly disappointed. "Well, son..." the vendor put his hand to his chin in thought. "I'll tell ya what. I'm in town 'til next week. After that point, I'll be headin' up to Kansai, and you probably won't be able to catch me 'til next year some time. If you can scrounge up the money by then, my offer still stands." **** "I must say, dear," the woman smiled. "You look positively ravishing!" Akane smiled and twirled around, allowing the hem of the dress to float on air. "You think so?" she smiled. The woman smiled. "Absolutely." Akane looked at herself in the mirror for a few moments, considering. It was just too good to pass up. "I'll take it," she said, smiling. Smiling, the woman walked to Akane and patted her hand. "You look wonderful, child. You'll make any man do a double-take simply by being there." Akane blushed once again, but smiled nonetheless. "Now, I doubt you'd like to wear it home, dear," she said. "So scoot off into the dressing room and I'll ring it up for you." Without another word, Akane did so. **** Ranma sat on the wooden stool and took a bite from his okonomiyaki. While it would have tasted better if made by Ucchan, he wasn't too pleased with her. The last thing he would ever have expected her to do was to team up with Shampoo. Still, he was more angry with Shampoo than Ukyou. Especially since he and the others had gone through so much to bring her back. In fact, Ranma was almost positive the whole explosives thing was Shampoo's idea, even if it was Ukyou's shtick. "Hey," someone said from behind, grabbing his shoulder. Ranma jumped in surprise and almost swallowed his mouthful down his windpipe. After a few coughs, he turned around with a stern look on his face. And then he saw Akane, smiling. For some reason, he couldn't keep the stern look, and chuckled a bit. "You ordered without me?" she asked, taking a spot on the stool beside him. She began to look through the small paper menu that had been taped to the side of the cart. Ranma merely nodded, and then looked down toward the bag next to Akane. "What'd ya get?" he asked. Akane looked down toward her bag and blushed slightly. "Nothing much," she replied, then looked back to the menu. A moment later, she ordered. The cook, though not nearly as fast as as Ukyou, came out with a top notch okonomiyaki and had it on Akane's plate in a few seconds. She brought it up and took a bite, suddenly surprised to feel a sharp poke to her arm. She looked over to Ranma, and instinctively rubbed her arm. "What was that for?" she asked, her mouth still half full. Ranma just smirked. "Just wanted to see." "Well did you have to poke me so HARD?" Ranma shrugged and took a sip fro his drink. "Tomorrow night," he said. Akane's ears perked up. "Tomorrow night?" "We'll start." "REALLY?!" she asked, jumping out of her chair. "You mean it?" Ranma blushed lightly. "Sit down, willya? Sheesh. Yer makin' a scene." Akane noticed her predicament and promptly sat down, blushing. "You mean it?" she asked again, this time a bit more quiet. Ranma nodded as he took another bite. "Yeah," he said. "I've gotta do something in the morning, but when I get back we can do some sparring." Akane narrowed her eyes. "Tomorrow morning? What do you have to do?" Ranma shook his head. "Nothing to worry about. Nabiki just wants me to do something for her. It's sometimes better not to question that." Akane nodded. She knew all too well that it wasn't wise to question Nabiki's intentions. Ranma finished off his okonomiyaki in one big bite, and stood up. He dropped some money on the table and stretched. "So," Ranma said. "You ready to get going? The movie's gonna start in about ninety minutes. We should go get ready." Akane quickly gathered up her food in a carry-home bag and dropped money on the table. She got up and smiled. "All right," she said. The two of them walked home together. **** "So, Ryouga," Jennifer said, popping out of the hotel bathroom, brushing her teeth and wearing blue cotton pajamas. "How well do you know English?" Ryouga shrugged as he rummaged through his pack. "Not much," he replied. "Enough to get by, I guess. I was lost in an english-only district of Hong Kong for about three weeks. I got to know a few key words. Pretty simple stuff, really." Jennifer raised an eyebrow questioningly at Ryouga. "Don't you all learn it in school up here?" "I learned a little in first year junior high, but I haven't been in school since then. I can never stay in one place for long enough." "" Ryouga raised an eyebrow. It took him a moment to decipher what she said, so after a short pause, he replied, "" Jennifer almost broke down laughing. "What was that?" "What?" "You just asked me where Japan was!" "I know," Ryouga said, once again tending to his pack. "It was really the only thing I needed to say in English." Jennifer shook her head. "You know, if might help if you can hold a full conversation in English, instead of just those few words." "Well, I can say those few words in almost twenty languages. It's never done me wrong before." "Really?" Ryouga nodded. "Really." "" "Huh?" "Do you wanna know what I just said?" Ryouga nodded. Smirking, she replied, "Learn English, then we'll talk." **** "Hey, Akane!" Ranma called from downstairs. "You almost ready, or what?" Akane didn't answer. He could wait a few minutes. Besides, Akane was having her own complications. She was actually entertaining the idea of wearing her new dress. She ran her fingers along the silk and lace rims, rubbing the soft fabric against her cheek. It had felt so good to wear it in the store, but to wear it out in public? And in front of Ranma? Her legs began to shake merely thinking about it. But knowing him, he'd probably ignore it. She'd probably go the whole night, and he wouldn't say a thing about her dress. She lay it back down on her bed and sighed. No. Tonight wasn't the night. Especially since they'd be walking to the movie. Instead, she settled on some casual clothes. Much like Ranma would probably be wearing. His same old red Chinese style shirt with the wooden ties, black elastic rimmed pants and slip-on shoes. No sense in overdoing it. Settling on her normal after-school wear, she made her way out the door. Giving another look at the blue dress resting on her bed, she shut out the lights. A few moments later, she and Ranma were well on their way. **** The movie lineup was remarkably short for such a busy night as Saturday, but it still had it's population. Still, for Ranma and Akane, the population meant nothing. Ranma gleefully paid for his and Akane's tickets, and led her inside. The lobby of the theater was packed with patrons and ushers. A small snack bar on the eastern wall boasted snacks and beverages. As they walked by, Ranma noticed Akane's diverted attention. "What's wrong?" he asked her. Akane took a quick look behind her. "Nothing," she replied. "Just thought I saw someone I know." Ranma shrugged it off and continued to walk past the snack bar. A quick count of his money revealed he could afford a small soda. To share. Still, he wasn't thirsty. And he doubted Akane was. She'd had a second glass of juice before they left home, so she'd still be safe for a little while. Walking into the theater, they quickly took a seat near the middle. Ranma looked over towards Akane once again as the lights dimmed. Once again, her attentions were towards the people walking in. Ranma decided to look back as well. There were a few familiar faces. Some people from school, but nobody he really knew. Still, he couldn't see what Akane was--- "Well, if it isn't my Ranma Darling," a husky, demure voice came from the seat three rows back and to his left. "And Akane Tendo... How delightful to see you here." Ranma's heart immediately jumped into his throat. He didn't even have to look back. Akane, however, did. "Kodachi," she cursed, almost as if it were a swear word. "And what are YOU doing here?" "Why, whatever do you mean, Akane Tendo? I am merely here to enjoy some culture, even if in rather... plebeian means. My dear brother had suggested this movie to me just today. Had I known my Ranma Darling would be here, I would have make myself more appropriate for him." Ranma didn't turn around. He didn't want to. "Which leads me to ask, Akane Tendo," Kodachi began, casting her snobbish gaze towards her. "What, pray tell, are YOU doing here?" Akane just crossed her arms and sat in the seat. "If you MUST know," she said. "I'm here to see a movie." "With my Darling Ranma? As if one so handsome as he would willingly take one so homely as you to a social function. He must have been coerced by your parents, or perhaps that mercenary sister of yours." Akane was about to retort, but she was interrupted. Ranma stood up and turned towards Kodachi, his stern gaze causing both of them to gasp. "God damn you," he said silently. Akane could almost sense what was going to happen. She reached up to pull him back down. Perhaps if she succeeded, they could watch the movie in relative peace. "Ranma," she pleaded. "Don't--" Ranma pulled away from her reflexively. "No," he said, a little more sternly than before. "I'm sick of this." Ranma climbed over one seat, moving closer to Kodachi, who just sat there like a lump, half in shock, half confused. He stood there, his gaze still meeting with Kodachi's. "Listen to me," he said, gazes still locked together. "Ranma," Akane tried again. "Don't make a scene. Please." Ranma just turned back and looked at Akane. Akane got the hint and remained silent. "Look here, Kodachi," Ranma said, his attention now back to her. "I'm sick of this. I'm sick of you calling me Ranma Darling. I'm NOT your bloody darling. I ain't no toy you can play with. I ain't a guinea pig you can test your latest poisons on. The only feeling I have towards you, the only feeling I've EVER had toward you is pure, unadulterated, ANNOYANCE!" Kodachi gasped as though she had been shot. "Ranma Darling, you don't--" "I AIN'T your bloody DARLING!" he exclaimed a little louder than he should have. He was being harsh, Akane thought. Perhaps a little too harsh, but still... It was something that needed to be done. Something Ranma needed to do. Kodachi sat there for another moment, staring with confusion into his eyes. Suddenly, all traces of confusion disappeared in an instant. Kodachi closed her eyes, and smirked. Ranma was the one to gasp at the sight of this. It wasn't what he was expecting. "Very well," she told Ranma. "If that is your wish, Ranma... I shall abide by it." As the lights began to dim, and the lights died down, Ranma narrowed his eyes. "What are you up to now?" he asked. Kodachi sighed with a light smile on her face. "Nothing, Ranma... In fact, I feel more alive at this moment than I have been for a while." Akane did a double take. Was this Kodachi? If it was, she was definitely up to something. "Now, Ranma. If you will, return to your seat to enjoy the movie. I will relocate so as not to bother you and your fiancee," she said, and began to get up. Ranma watched with suspicion as she walked to the opposite side of the theater and sat down in another seat. She accentuated it with a quick smile and wave. Shaking his head, he climbed back over his seat and sat down next to Akane. "What do you suppose she's up to?" he asked, ducking in close to her. Akane looked over to Kodachi, her expression neutral as she enjoyed the coming attractions on the movie screen. Shaking her head, she replied. "Your guess is as good as mine." **** "Well, wasn't that a sight?" Shiro asked, looking toward the now stationary forms of Ranma and Akane. Rei nodded enthusiastically. "Nabiki will want to know about that. She wasn't expecting the Kuno girl to be here." Shiro nodded. "You got enough snacks?" Rei motioned towards the small bounty of goodies in her lap. "You think?" she asked. Shiro laughed accordingly. He was quite handsome for one of the so-dubbed 'bruisers' of Nabiki's troupe. In fact, he was the best looking one of them. Though he was quite handsome, he was notoriously homosexual as well. He'd broken the hearts of enough girls at Furinkan for that to be mainly public knowledge. And he lived with that like it wasn't a problem. Rei smirked inwardly. Of all the bruisers, he was the most handsome. Of all the school, he was probably the most stylish. The sparsely populated theater was enough to hide their presence from Ranma and Akane. Even enough that when Ranma had looked at her and Shiro dead on, he hadn't noticed a thing out of place. But then, Ranma didn't know her or Shiro that well. In fact, she doubted he knew Shiro at all. "You think she might be up to something?" Shiro asked, motioning over towards Kodachi. Rei almost broke out laughing. Even among the students of Furinkan, Kodachi's personality was well known. Heck, it was probably well known in the middle of Africa or Europe, for that matter. "Who knows?" she said. "I wouldn't put it past her." Shiro shook his head. "Nor would I." After a moments pause, the movie began. **** The screen flashed black. A dramatic pause, before starting. Scrolls of text ran across the screen, as a narrator spoke. "Two households, both alike in dignity," the narrator said. "In fair Verona, where we lay our scene. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny. Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean. From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, a pair of star cross'd lovers take their life." Ranma, surprisingly was impressed. Akane seemed to revel in the gothic feel of the opening. As the movie continued, all other thoughts and worries were forgotten. **** Kodachi was deep in thought. The movie was mere white noise, a subtle backdrop to her... deeper emotions. Inside, she was a festering storm, ready to lash out and take anything nearby down to the fiery shores of hell with her. But externally, her face was a cold mask of non-interest. For all intents and purposes, she was just another movie-goer. 'How dare you?' she had wanted to say. 'How dare you speak to me in such a manner, as if I were a mere annoyance.' But deeper inside, she knew that Ranma wouldn't say that to her. Not of his own free will. The hurt on his face was masked with that of anger, but dreadfully apparent to Kodachi. She looked over towards Akane, her outward mask momentarily forgotten. With a slight glare, she turned her attention back to the movie. To her surprise, some time had passed. "See, where he comes. So please you step aside, I'll know his grievance, or be much denied," the man on screen said. From Kodachi's memories of her brothers frantic ravings, she could place the man as Benvolio. The other man on screen was Montague, and the third man, just arriving on screen, must have been Romeo. "I would thou wert so happy by thy stay. To hear true shrift. Come, madam, let's away," Montague said, taking his wife and leaving the scene. Benvolio looked toward Romeo and greeted, "Good morrow, cousin." Romeo looked to the sky. "Is the day so young?" "But new struck nine!" Benvolio replied enthusiastically. "Ay me!" he exclaimed. "Sad hours seem long. Was that my father that went hence so fast?" "It was. What sadness lengthens Romeo's hours?" "Not having that which having makes them short." "In love?" "Out--" "Of Love?" Kodachi began to piece it together. While Romeo was obviously the counterpart of Ranma, she herself must have been Juliet. Yes, their love was timeless, Kodachi was sure of it. Timeless and tragic. Outside forces, forces unworthy of coming between them were invading. And Kodachi had to do something about it. **** "Did you see that?" Shiro asked, pointing toward Kodachi. Rei shook her head. "No, sorry. I was watching the movie." "She looked towards Akane." "So?" "No, I mean she GLARED at her." "Glared? You saw it?" Shiro just nodded. "I'm sure of it now. She's up to something." "Should we keep an eye on her?" "For now," she replied. "But wait until the movie's over." **** "No, no," Jennifer said, correcting him. "" Ryouga tried it again. "" Jennifer sighed. "Close enough, I guess." "Do we have to keep doing this?" Shrugging, she said, "I guess not. It's just something to do." Ryouga shook his head. "So, your sensei... He's in Tokyo?" She nodded. "Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why. He's visiting some family there, and there's some kind of function that he didn't seem to want to along on." Ryouga raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Why not?" Shrugging, she continued. "Who knows? Why wouldn't anyone want me around?" Ryouga decided to remain silent. "So, Ryouga," she began. "Tell me something about yourself." "Huh?" "Tell me something. Anything." Ryouga blinked. "Ummm... like what?" "Like... I dunno... anything. Who did you learn your art from?" Ryouga snorted. "My art? Earlier on, I was just learning it for the hell of it. I wanted to be strong, and to keep in shape. That kind of thing. It's pretty smart of me, too, because if I wasn't built like this, I wouldn't have survived half the trips I've ever been on." "Earlier on?" "Hmm?" "What did you mean by earlier on?" "Oh... well.. a bit later on, after Ranma, I kinda trained myself. I learned a few moves I didn't know before. I got stronger... But it still wasn't enough." "This Ranma guy, you've mentioned him a bit. Is he a friend of yours or something?" Ryouga sighed. "I'm... not sure, actually." "Not sure? How so?" "Well... The guy is responsible for most of my misfortunes. He's responsible for my curse, he;s made me look like a fool hundreds of times. I can't call him a friend... But I can't call him an enemy, either. I've seen him do things. Things I'm not even sure I'm capable of, to protect people. His... fiancee, Akane, for instance." "That's the girl you liked, right?" He nodded. "I've seen him fight... a god." Jennifer's expression went haywire for a minute. "Did I hear you right?" "Well, the closest thing we can compare him to is a god. He was immortal. His limbs grew back once they were cut off. But Ranma... He still managed to kill him." "Are you serious? He killed someone?" Ryouga nodded. "He was resurrected afterwards, of course. As a child, but still... It was just one of the things he did... All for Akane." "So it sounds like Ranma really likes Akane, then?" Ryouga sighed. "I used to tell myself that he only wanted to use Akane. To throw her out when he was done with her, and move on to another girl, and treat her the same way. I thought I had everything figured out with him..." he said. "But after Ryugenzawa. After Jusendo... After all that, I can't explain why I felt that way. The man risked his life for her, and even I couldn't do that." Jennifer raised an eyebrow. "So this guy saved her a bunch of times, then? But he's responsible for your curse..." Ryouga clenched his fist and nodded with a fierce look on his face. "I should hate him. I really should," he said. He then unclenched his fist and let his expression go neutral. "But I can't hate him. I don't know why, but I can't." Jennifer caught the vibes emanating from Ryouga and looked towards the ground, deep in thought. "I think..." she began. "I think what needs to be some here is some good old fashioned soul cleansing." "Soul cleansing? What do you mean?" "You're confused. Your feelings are contradicting each other. I think what you need is some absolution. A direction to work towards. A goal." "I have one. I want to prove myself to Akari." "And how do you plan to do that, Ryouga?" Ryouga paused. He hadn't really thought about that before. He had just assumed... He just assumed that it involved him getting better at martial arts. Jennifer smirked. "I thought so," she said. "What?" "You don't have any idea, do you? No idea on how to prove yourself." Ryouga sighed and looked towards the floor. "No," he said, shaking his head. "So you were just wandering around, hoping you'll stumble across some magic scroll that will make you worthy of her?" Ryouga sighed in defeat. "Well, Ryouga, honey. You just found the next best thing. Me," she said, a hidden intelligence moving behind her blue eyes. Ryouga, at that moment, resembled a deer trapped in the headlights of an oncoming truck. And the truck's name was Jennifer. **** "Oh, I AM FORTUNES FOOL!" Romeo cried, kneeling before the statue, the rain pouring down upon him. He dropped his gun and went to a crawling position, the rain not bothering him. "Romeo," Benvolio said, comforting his cousin, and eying the slain form of Tybalt. "Why dost thou stay?" And with that, Romeo ran. Kodachi smirked. The movie itself was excellent up to that point, each new line infesting her mind and spreading different ideas across. Her plan was now flawless. Perfectly flawless. The drugs would be quick and undetectable. Painless, thankfully. They would create a state of unconsciousness for several hours, and allow for enough time to whisk Ranma away to her mansion, where she would have a room set up for him. She would keep it stocked with a steady supply of sodium pentathol, and any other necessary drugs that would counteract whatever magic or drug that Akane was using on HER Ranma. After Ranma's freedom from the conniving witch, Akane, she could go through with her plan. The drug itself would be virtually undetectable. While Kodachi would have loved to take credit for Akane's killing, she knew it would not remain kosher within the law enforcement community, nor with her own brother. So her involvement in the death would have to remain a secret. She looked over to Ranma, a wistful look on her face. Whatever spell the witch had on him was working well. As much as it pained Kodachi to see her beloved in such a condition, it would have to wait. Smiling, she looked back to the screen. One day. Perhaps two. **** "What's here? A cup, clos'd in my true love's hand?" Juliet said as she examined the small vial. "Poison, I see, hath been his timeless end. O churl! Drunk all, and left no friendly drop to help me after? I will kiss thy lips. Haply some poison yet doth hang on them to make me die with a restorative." As Juliet kissed the dead form of Romeo, Ranma found himself gasp lightly. Akane, however, knew the lines backwards and forwards, and had been lip-synching since the beginning of the movie. Much to her disappointment, she found that several scenes were not shown. "Thy lips are warm!" she exclaimed from on screen as she broke the kiss. Silent voices were heard from the exterior of the cathedral, and Juliet looked up. "Yea, noise?" she said, looking up. "Then I'll be brief. O, happy dagger!" Snatching Romeo's gun from his side, she pointed it towards her head. "This is thy sheath; there rest, and let me die." And with that, Juliet shot herself. **** The movie let out soon afterwards, but as the light returned, so did the worries of Kodachi. Akane was the first to look back, only to see Kodachi's back as she exited the theater. "Ranma," she began. "You think she's really up to something?" Ranma looked back to catch her as well, and then nodded. "I think so," he replied. "It might be an idea to keep on our toes for a little while." Akane merely nodded. "So," Ranma said, pulling out of the row. "You wanna grab a cab or something? I'm not sure walking home in the dark with Ms. Kodachi lurking about is such a wise idea." Akane nodded. "Do you have enough for fare?" Ranma checked his pockets, and pulled out a few yen. He counted it, then winced. "I have enough for about half way." "Well, we could call your mom up. Maybe she could send a cab." Ranma shook his head. "I don't wanna do that to her. I know she's low enough on cash as it is." **** "Can you hear what they're saying?" Rei asked. Shiro strained to hear. "Barely. I think they're trying to figure out how to get home without running into Kodachi." Rei watched as Ranma pulled some change out of his pocket and counted it. She saw the disappointed look on Ranma's face and figured it out. "He doesn't have enough for a cab," she said. Shiro listened more closely. "You're right," he said after a moment. "Do we let them walk home?" Rei raised an eyebrow. "You know... I know this is against Nabiki's set rules... but this once I think I'll make an exception." Shiro looked towards Rei, horrified. "Relax. It's for a good cause," she said, winking. "Follow me." And with that, the two of them walked over to Ranma and Akane. **** "So I guess we're stuck walk--" "Hey, Akane!" another voice called, interrupting the two of them. "How's it going?" Akane looked over to see a familiar face walking towards her. Although, not so familiar that she would remember her name. But the man WITH her, she recalled without delay. "Uhh, hi there!" Akane replied, deciding to try and bluff her way through. The girl walked right up to her and smiled. "Shiro and I saw you two before the movie started, but I thought we'd wait until later to say hi!" Ranma just blinked in confusion. He remembered the two of them went to Furinkan, but other than that, nothing. "Hey," Shiro said, smiling at Ranma. "Enjoy the movie?" Ranma nodded. "Uhh, yeah. It was pretty... uhh... cool." "Great," the girl said, smiling. "Hey, you two heading home right now?" Akane nodded. "Hey, great. You two wanna share a cab?" she asked. Akane and Ranma's eyes lit up at once. It was Ranma who was the first to speak, however. "Sure!" he exclaimed. Akane merely smiled and nodded. "Great," the girl replied. "We'll go call a cab. Meet you outside, okay?" Akane nodded and allowed the two of them to make it to the phone booth. "Okay, two things," Ranma began. "First of all, who the hell were they?" "I know them both, but I don't remember the girls name. Shiro, however... Well... It's just, I thought he was gay." Ranma raised an eyebrow and looked up at the man. "He is? He doesn't look gay." Akane shook her head. "What, do you think they all go around wearing signs or something?" Ranma just shrugged. "Anyway, my second question... Are they psychic or something?" Akane shook her head. "Who knows?" **** "Rei, I thought this was a recon mission. No direct confrontation?" Rei smirked. "You make it sound like we're in the army, Shiro. Besides, it's a good deed." "Yeah, but didn't Nabiki say--" "Good deeds cost you. I know, but seriously, she sent us on this mission to make sure everything went all right. It may have been look and watch mostly, but then why did we have you along?" Shiro blinked. "Because I'm the only one of the so-called 'bruisers' that DOESN'T have a thing for Akane?" Rei winced. "Well," she said. "That too." Rei stopped at the phone booth and picked up the phone. Inserting her phone card, she began to dial. "I'm never going to live this down. I know it." **** "Home," Kodachi said as she hopped in to the car. She was angry enough already. The driver was instructed to be there the minute the movie ended, and she was forced to WAIT for thirty seconds as the car pulled up to her. She would have to fire him. Later. For now, she would have to plan things out. In full detail. Right down to what she planned to wear during the first night of Ranma's freedom. She smiled expectantly as she daydreamed of the night. It would be wonderful. Ranma would lay in the bed, recovering from his ordeal with Akane. He would be worried, distraught that she may still pursue him. Then Kodachi would enter the room, clad only in a black negligee, and deliver the news. The news that would take Ranma from the depths of hell, and bring him to the zenith of the heavens. Akane was dead. And then, to cheer him further, she could-- Oh, it made her ecstatic to just think of it. All night, they could make love. All night, they could comfort each other. And Ranma could return her favour by pledging his undying love. Something he definitely would have done already, if Akane or the others hadn't interfered. Kodachi leaned back in the limousine and laughed, barely even conscious that she was doing it. And in the front seat, the driver felt a chill go up his spine. **** Rei hopped into the back seat of the taxi, and slid over to the far side, behind the drivers seat. She leaned forward and told him where to go. Shiro slid in beside her, and then a rather uncomfortable looking Ranma. Akane was the last to slide in, and the four of them were packed in the taxi. "You know," Ranma said. "One of us could have gone in the front." The driver was already on the road, and moving. "So, Ranma, Akane," Rei said, leaning over to look past Shiro. "How's the new place working out?" Ranma raised an eyebrow. "It's uhh... fine. Why do you ask?" Rei just shrugged. "Well, it's been going all over the school. We figured you guys would have been all over each other--" She was promptly elbowed by Shiro. "Err, I meant... uhh.. in each others faces!" Nice save, Ranma thought to himself. He looked over to Akane's embarrassed face. Not nice enough, however. "We've been getting along okay," Ranma said offhandedly. Neither of them really liked the direction this was going. "Hey, there's your place coming up," Rei said. Ranma looked out the window. Yes, indeed. It was his place. His home. And although he couldn't place it at that moment, there was something fishy about the whole thing. As the cab came to a slow stop, Akane and Ranma slid out of the car, and leaned in to the window. "So we'll see you guys on Monday, okay?" Rei said, speaking a little more loudly than she should have. Shiro merely nodded in agreement. "All right," Akane said. Ranma followed in suit and smacked the hood of the car, sending it off. As it drove away, the both of them waved. "You know what?" "What?" "I just realized this," Akane said, looking towards the retreating taxi. "But we never paid." Ranma paused and checked his pocket. He cold feel the change. "You're right," he said. "Ranma, why do I get the feeling that we've just been through--" "--a total setup?... I'm getting the same feeling. I also have the feeling that your sister is behind it all." Akane nodded yet again. "Are you gonna talk to her about it tomorrow?" Ranma didn't reply, he was too deep in thought. As the two of them entered the house, and made their way up the stairs. The both of them stopped in front of their rooms. An awkward silence fell over them as they stood there, until one of them decided to speak. "So," Akane began, looking towards the floor. "I... uhh.. had a good time." Ranma placed his arm behind his head. "Yeah... uhh... me too." Another few moments of awkward silence fell over them, as they struggled to find something else to say. "I... uhh... guess this is good night," Akane said, still looking at the ground. "Uhh.. yeah... good night," Ranma said. A part of him seemed to be expecting something more, especially since he remained standing. Akane looked up into his eyes. Ranma could see that she, too was expecting something more. So, Ranma decided to take the plunge, and move in closer to her, inching ever nearer. Suddenly, they heard a creak. A LOUD creak, and a surprised grunt as their auditory nerves were filled with sounds of breaking wood, and the floor nearby began to collect a thin layer of white powder. Ranma and Akane both looked up to see Genma fall from the ceiling, head first. "God DAMMIT, Pop!" Ranma exclaimed, steaming. Genma groaned something about a mouse in the attic, when another loud creak was heard. At first, Ranma thought the floor was about to give way under the stress, but then the hinges broke off of a nearby door. The door to his parents room. He let his jaw drop to the floor as his mother fell out of the room, right after the door. She recovered as quickly as she could to see the looks on the faces of the two surprised teenagers. "Err," she began. "Those repairmen... I MUST have a stern word with them... in the... umm... morning." Ranma and Akane didn't say anything. They were too shocked. After a brief pause, Nodoka got up and grabbed Genma by the collar. "Come dearest, it's getting late," she said, then walked into the room, hefting up the door and leaning it against the frame on her way in. Ranma and Akane just stared for a few more moments, then looked at each other. With a smile, the both of them left for their respective rooms. ****